Philosology: Invisible People

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Invisible People

Several years ago a friend and I decided to watch people at a night club. Attempting to point out different traits of an individual we literally didn't see the person the other was talking about. They were invisible. This created an eye opening experience when invisible people miraculously appeared on the dance floor as though casting a spell of visibility.

This occurrence is surprisingly normal. Hardly anyone spends time pondering the lack of awareness of our surroundings or absence of an event. It wasn't selective memory. It happened in real time without alcohol or drug usage. Some people are invisible. I like to believe everyone is visible to someone; however, some people might be more invisible than others.

Experimenting with invisibility I tried several premises. Not making eye-contact seemed obvious. Thinking about it in great depths I remember seeing someone avoiding eye-contact. They were visible to others and me. Trying it a few times I realized it only made an aloof impression. A profile view is unattractive for most individuals. Combined with a cold expression, looked like a zombie.

Next I attempted to change my appearance to be more conservative. This only caused the people I was previously unaware of to approach more frequently. Becoming visible to different people had consequences. I also gained weight to become socially awkward. People popped up out of nowhere to ask for advice. Some people harassed me, also appearing in an equally destabilizing mannerism.

Then one day after meditating on the earth and everything around me; sights, sounds and gravitational pull of the earth I succeeded in becoming invisible. Most of the world becomes white noise. By metabolizing to the world I became white noise.

Sitting like a rock listening to the earth turn, moan and breathe life into everything, my family came home. At first the dog didn't see me. Breaking out of the trance to call her, she barked at me as though I were a stranger. Then I spoke. My family still couldn't see me. After a minute, stood up and finally became visible. If anything their memory forgot the awkward situation or created a rational memory.

Trying it out again, it was successful; however, it failed after attempting to purposefully fool them. Later on, one night in the cemetery a friend and I sat on top of a crypt next to a path local teens visit. It was fun startling them. My friend would wait, lurk and then move. They jumped back and laughed. Then I became visible. They looked confused as though they lost their sanity. They didn't see me even though I was sitting next to her.

What does or doesn't constitute white noise is an intriguing concept? As an animated person, I am highly visible. Perhaps thinking about other people, responding and doing things to gain an equal plain makes us visible. Appearance and how people respond is another issue. It is nice to be visible. People talk to you giving advice or criticism. It makes us better people. Creating Confidence's purpose is to manage positive responses. Being invisible sounds lonely, I hope anyone who feels invisible takes this knowledge and finds invisibility is a gift with special aspects that can be an advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion by leaving a comment.