Philosology: Subconscious Revelations

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Subconscious Revelations

Writing about relatively uncomfortable topics concerning psychology it is important to have balance between what normal is to feel comfortable around everyone. There are many people who were traumatized, abused and experienced a loss, yet they don't lose control and cause harm. It is also important for people feel comfortable with themselves.

Discussing opening the subconscious to get in touch with hidden trauma, sometimes it also hides important messages. These messages might be indifferent, functional or a reminder of something genuinely kind we forgot over the years. As an artist, I have a unique sense of style. A lot of this stems from personal experiences. Ever since I was young bows, similar to the one on "Skull Girl," are slightly less perfect than other media impressions of a bow. The bows are fashioned after a bow made with one ribbon. Extension above and below the knot are accentuated to form a continuous line like a hand tied bow.

Critics might comment the bow is imperfect, yet something in the back of my mind tells me it is ultimately correct. Some might focus on imperfections and imply it stems from a repressed memory. Regarding this premise, I challenged myself to think about what the bow means. Growing up I had an older sister who wanted her space. Trapped in the same house, it was inevitable she would find me, even when hiding or trying to do my own thing; however, when thinking about learning about bows I think about wrapping presents.

As a girl wrapping presents for birthdays and holidays was a fun learning experience I spent with my sister. It was fun figuring out how to improve decorations by holding the ribbon between our thumbs and scissors to add curl or cut the ends to create two points like the ribbon seen on Skull Girl. I held my fingers together so she could get the bow just right.

Though fun memories, I often draw a specific bow, though able to draw a plethora of bows. It is often red or a darker maroon. As a girl I would wear cute red dresses girls often wear. My favorite was a dark red holiday dress with a bow on the back. It came with the standard bow made with three cuts of ribbon and starched to look perfect. I wore the dress all the time until one day it began to fall apart. My mom helped fix it. She went to San Francisco University to learn Fashion Design, yet became certified in Accounting at a Junior College.

As a child issues of graduating and degrees, earning the right to fashion a bow and determining its value by who made it was a null point. I could continue wearing my favorite dress and my mom made the bow. It is perfect and as perfect bows the ribbon curves slightly high and slightly low. Notice femininity with additional length on the ends with two points.

The bow is not covering up any awful or critical memory. The recurrence in my artwork is a reminder or determination of something meaningful. It reminds me of how to be a child. It reminds to appreciate people in a less critical mannerism and exalt the value of uniqueness.

While attempting to access the subconscious, let the mind drift. Allow memories to surface through images, sounds and sensations, instead of, attempting to control the discovery. A rewarding experience, everyone tends to be multidimensional with greater experiences than their tragedies. There are also a lot of fulfilling epiphanies.

Related Article
Understanding
Unleashing the Subconscious

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion by leaving a comment.