Philosology: Real Aspects of Internet

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Real Aspects of Internet

Popular opinion states the internet is different than real life; however, internet is similar to real life. When I was a teen, running around doing stuff with my friend or friends, there were no phones. I talked to people at home and made plans to meet somewhere. There were no phones, laptops or other devices to connect with the internet. We were on our own and liked it that way.

There is a problem not taking a camera with you. I had the minimum inexpensive disposable camera to take photos if there was an accident or someone harassed me. It is nice to not worry about someone calling me while doing other things. Internet is about the same.

Some might be surprised to know someone in the same neighborhood is just as capable of shutting down conversation as someone across the world clicking on mute. Sometimes we think distance makes a difference, yet friends are about the same anywhere. There is a limit to the amount of responsibility anyone has for anyone else. There is also significant comparison between helping and stalking.

Some differences are good. At home, it is easier to choose independent activities. As a group of friends at a diner ordering coffee, we should order coffee or a raspberry ice tea. It might be more expensive, yet computers and internet service costs money. It might be easier to avoid violence or molestation; however, it is as much a sudden realization when discovering people's opinions about behavior changes. It is just as hostile and unfriendly. It is just as positive or negative and potentially physically damaging because no matter where you are someone is there.

Internet is expansive, since it connects people from all over the world, yet there are language barriers and other barriers like physical appearance and mental acuity. Immediate judgment by peers involves more people; however, they are less able to take action. This offsets a smaller group of peers who are able to instigate plans from a close proximity.

It is fun chatting on the internet. There are activities and I frequently see people acting about the same when picking out who they want on their team and organizing fun events. Some events involve games or chatting about life. It is about the same as billiards or talking in a basement apartment. People are trying to figure each other out and make an impression while communicating to each other.

I remember a game of billiards a local pizza shop. A new friend evaluated me on how I played the game. What they couldn't comprehend is I take real life more seriously than playing a game. Games are a distraction from real life, yet over time it appears the same tendency to build self-esteem in other people, by not playing competitively, became apparent to me because of the conversation.

I enjoy thinking about how people are doing. After moving to go to a university, internet became an important part of my social life. I did not want to meet new people and felt a higher obligation to past friends. Slowly my social life became the internet to avoid people who might think I was desperate for companionship. In addition, it was scary. I don't like people thinking I need them. It also felt as though I abandoned everyone during a difficult time; however, there are always problems and more things to fix. Everyone has to take time to improve themselves, including me.

A sense of social obligation when talking to other people is an automatic reaction. Some worry, find a purpose or enjoy distractions. Even gossip is the same. I remember talking to a friend, kind of like a sounding board, at a diner on the edges of town. Wanting privacy, there is always someone around. Talking through various thoughts, someone was still able to spread gossip. They were not for the grand realizations after talking about everything. Later I realized there was a problem with my logic, yet there is someone still around to try to make me feel responsible for things I did not do, only thought about.

It feels awkward being on the opposing side of someone's agenda. It happens on the internet and is equally embarrassing. Talking to someone, they do not notice if you are paying attention or not. They accuse you of agreeing with everything they said, not noticing you looking at everyone in the coffee shop. I remember wondering why they are talking to me. Conversation spoken, yet no one listening.

Men harass women on the internet. Women think since it is the internet, it is safe to act promiscuous and then everyone will think they are cool. Later they realize it is a game to prove masculine attractiveness and nothing else. They make jeering comments to seem attractive to the person they want to date. There is also enough privacy for men to create fictional stories. Whether or not they actually receive any indication of interest is not important. I remember an ex-boyfriend noticing how most women being called sluts slept with neither the guy they are talking to or their friend.

Life is fun, cruel, humiliating and interesting. A person gets through life knowing what they really did and did not do. Even if participating in someone's game, find the happier parts of life and leave the rest behind. Gain a reputation by what you do, not what other people say you do. Give it your all and know there is hope. Dodge advances and find higher ground to avoid trauma. Live and let others live their life. Avoid being a hypocrite. Find solace in knowing the absolute truth from your perspective. Find peace in the darkness to find peace in the light.

Intellectually, the internet is life, because it is interacting with other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion by leaving a comment.